I know I just said banana bread and muffins as though it could be one thing. Well in my world anything is possible. What I am sharing here is a banana bread recipe that I baked in a muffin pan. It is not just a banana bread recipe, it is my “Special” Secret Spices Recipe.
I was making my dad a cup of tea the other day and he asked me “where are the cookies?” This meant “Why haven’t you baked yet?” So I went back into the kitchen, looked around and there they were.
Three, sad, overripe bananas. Cowering in the shadow of the new hand of bananas. No one was going to eat them and eventually they would end up in the bin. I had to save them, and save them I did. Here is how…
- 3 Medium, Overripe Bananas
- 1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- Special Secret Spices
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
- 110 g Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
Note: Butter must be softened & use vanilla EXTRACT not Essence.
- Preheat oven to 175 °C
- In a medium sized bowl mash the bananas
- Using a different, medium sized bowl combine the dry ingredients (Flour, Baking Soda, Salt & “Special” Secret Spices)
- In a small bowl lightly whisk the eggs and vanilla extract
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar
- Add the egg mixture to the mashed banana, beat well but gently
- Then add the banana & egg mixture to the butter mixture, beat well but gently, again
- Now add in the dry ingredients mixture slowly and mix well until batter is smooth
- Scoop equal parts into muffin cups in muffin pan
- Bake at 175 °C for ± 50 min or until toothpick comes out clean from the centre
It is important to note that the muffins will tend to darken before the centre is fully baked, do not panic just yet they are not burnt. Also that baking time will vary depending on oven and muffin size.
A step by step video is available on my Instagram TV channel https://www.instagram.com/tv/BxDmgUTFqOF/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1f66zssa43l7n
Before I go…
Surely you are wondering what makes up these Special Secret Spices.
Here they are…
Fun Fact: Extract vs Essence
These two are not at all the same thing. Vanilla extract is made by soaking vanilla pods in a mixture of water & ethyl alcohol. Vanilla essence is a synthetic vanilla flavouring.
I trust that you will enjoy these Banana Bread Muffins.